VIDEO> FD Sonoma: Tilt-Shift Formula Drift

Formula D Sonoma | Tilt Shift

Formula Drift made its yearly stop in Sonoma, California last weekend. I’ve been looking forward to this event, simply because I live less than an hour away and I had a guaranteed bed to sleep in. However, the weekend was not without snags.

Upon my arrival, I found that I was not on the list for media, since KP Race and Victor Moore were unable to make it to Sonoma – this rendered my credentials were void. Therefore, I made the best of my bad luck and decided that if I couldn’t get the really close action shots, I would take a few steps back and shoot a different perspective. The next morning, I drove down to Borrowed Lenses in San Carlos and rented a tilt-shift lens. Over the past few months, my interest in these lenses has grown quite a bit and when I saw Mister Geoff Pitts from Thunder Drift taking photos with one at Formula D Las Vegas, I knew I had to try it. Fate truly couldn’t have presented me with a finer opportunity. Enjoy!

:: Joe Ayala

59 Responses to “VIDEO> FD Sonoma: Tilt-Shift Formula Drift”

1. Justin Shreeve says:

Groundbreaking.

2. SERIOUSLY. This is an AMAZING video, Joe! Keep pushing those boundaries! We’re so glad and PROUD to have you in the crew.

Thanks also to John Pangilinan @FormulaD for not hooking you up with a media pass! It forced you to come up on this sick idea for a video!

3. Justin Shreeve says:

I’m going to post this on John’s FB page right now. haha

4. Nathan Long says:

Truly Groundbreaking.

5. @Shreeve: already done did it, justin. you’re slowwwwww.

6. Justin Shreeve says:

Two minutes behind isn’t that slow!

7. Geoff says:

Dear god Joe! what have you DONE?!?!?!?!

shit is LEGENDARY.

8. Definitely agree with what Justin Shreeve said as “Groundbreaking.” Gives a “toy/surreal” overview of event. Hopefully we’ll see you out in Irwindale.

9. en6381 says:

Woo..so fun so good so great so nice..

10. Sully says:

definantly pushin the envelope on creativy and style! well done.

11. Drama says:

I’ve been listening to this song a lot, recently. Funny how it comes up in a drift video haha. Really diggin the Tilt shift. Video looks good!

12. Chris Rhoad says:

Im a little over the tilt-shift thing, however, I thoroughly enjoyed that. Well done.

13. Jonathan McWhorter says:

i feel like we’re witnessing a revolution, remember you saw it HERE first

14. Jonathan McWhorter says:

also, joe’s not allowed into anymore events

15. Chris Hecht says:

That was rad! The music with the sped up rate made for a killer video. Great perspective of the action that is FD. So cool! Agreed, don’t let Joe inside anymore events. haha

16. Not Roger Ebert says:

Very well done. ORIGINAL!!!!!! ORIGINAL!!!!!!! ORIGINAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

A breath of fresh air! BIG KUDOS.

I’ve seen many videos and don’t comment, but HAD to for this one. Truly excellent. It’s great to see someone innovating and helping to take the automotive vid to another level.

On a side note, the music helped to make this video perfection…as a fellow artist, ya gotta give a shout out to the artist and include the song title! I know both, but many people don’t.

The video was magic. It was art.

Keep up the GREAT work.

BTW: passed the link to others who liked it as well.

17. Larry Chen says:

Amazing. I haven’t watched a drift video all the way through in a while. This one was good.

18. Mike Nason says:

Dude, Joe, I have no words man……. That is the most amazing video.

19. Lucky says:

this video HELLA reminds me of the video where that dude is stuck in the elevator. for like 48 hours, and poops on himself, and the wall. haha.

20. daedae says:

really great vid..i lik how everything looks like a toy in this 1 lol

21. garageSTAR says:

I like the video. It reminds me of this one. http://vimeo.com/9679622

22. Joe Ayala says:

Thanks Everybody! Glad you all enjoyed it!

@Larry Chen
    I spend more time on DriftFotos than I do browsing Drift Videos.

23. Mike Kim says:

this was pretty epic…loved it…

24. Riley says:

Man, congrats on a piece of art, this style of shooting will never get old, and will only get better.

Thank you for a different perspective, finally!

I cannot express how appreciative I am of this video, it just literally kept me entertained, and made my day end beautifully.

25. herbrockone says:

I have to agree with everyone. A different approach most definitely a unique perspective.

26. Wes Ong says:

PERFECTION! Way to think out of the box, focus a radical and almost unimaginable theme and pull it off with flying colors. Also +1 for Borrow Lenses, they hook all of us non-baller photographers in the bay area with BALLER equipment.

27. Jeff says:

Yes!…..this was great!!!……finally something original…..i was gettin tired of all those vids edited to some lame underground rap crap

28. This is so damn awesome!

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

29. Linhbergh says:

This was one of the best drift videos I’ve seen all year. I’m with Larry on this one. I usually never finish watching drift videos, but I sat through this whole video.

AMAZING stuff!

30. Dan Cyr says:

Shit dude, I quit. This is absolutely terrifyingly off the hook. I’ve been meaning to screw with tilt/shift, but I’ve only ever used it as a post effect and never actually used a proper tilt/shift lens…it looks REALLY good!!! I’m gonna be Mr. Controversial here and present something to you guys though: I don’t really consider this a drift video. “Pull out the chainsaws and axes, this guy’s shit-talkin’!” right? No! Not at aaalll!! It’s just that some of you guys are saying that you don’t usually watch drift videos to the end, but you did with this one…and I agree, this is a very unique video, and a stellar edit. That said though, I don’t really consider it a drift video since the better part of the clips are shots of the paddock area and whatnot. Once again, I’m definitely not trying to take anything away from this vid, I think it’s f’awesome, I’m just sayin’…the most memorable part of this cut isn’t the drifting for me, so I wouldn’t fully call it a true drift video, more like a lifestyle/landscape piece. Still though, good ass music, good content, and good editing.

31. Nigel says:

Cannot believe what I am looking at, the depth of field and clarity is amazing.
    Looks like “super crazy high tech sh**” !! It all looks “toyish” because it is like the Camera is right there. (Antonio how close to the track were you ??)

32. Matt Waldin says:

As Justin Says: ” Gives a “toy/surreal” overview of event ”

I was searcjing for words and then I read your comment and it fit perfectly. Amazing video guys!

33. MaydayJohnP says:

Man, what a great video. Very, very nice

34. scott t says:

like everyone else said…great work!

it looked like an episode of Gumby.

am i aging myself with that comment?

35. [...] Motormavens: Formula D Sonoma | Tilt Shift [...]

36. AJ says:

It feels like you’re in the eyes of Mr. Rodgers……great video

37. Umai Kakudo says:

Lemonade from Lemons!

Bravo.

38. Jeff says:

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL ! !

39. Avon Bellamy says:

JOE! This is it! This is the MotorMavens way. When others have big budgets, corporate machines, and sophisticated equipment, the Maven has his wits, creativity, and sheer passion. Despite adversity and disadvantages, David’s rock always slays Goliath. Well done. And really, that goes for all of you guys (Ant, Larry, Shreeve, James, Yoshi, AW (Y&F), DB, Travis, Tamer, Lambert – everyone). All of you bring the magic out of alternate universes of creativity no matter what the circumstances and I’m constantly impressed by what you’re able to create out of thin air. Damn, that was hot!

40. D1RGE.EXE says:

I’m almost speechless at how good this was. Thank you! Seriously made my evening.

41. Chris Hecht says:

@Avon, dang, well put. Awesomely put!

42. I2ay says:

Wow…Speachless

43. Yoshi shindo says:

Joe. I can’t count how many times I watched this video already! You f’ckin killed it on this video. Great job man. I can’t wait to see more from u! Cannot wait for irwindale!!!!

44. Joe Ayala says:

Thanks so much to everybody, I really appreciate it all! You guys are all AWESOME!

45. Edgar says:

This was really an awesome video. And the music went along with it PERFECTLY. Such a great way of portraying the event.

46. shawn shawn says:

I really do love this video! Rad work man.

47. [...] VIDEO> FD Sonoma: Tilt-Shift Formula Drift – MotorMavens | Car Culture x Motorsports Photograph…. Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged as: drift, tilt shift, video | Leave a comment [...]

48. D1RGE.EXE says:

I keep watching this…so good

49. Tamer Omran says:

Alll the cars look like toys! lol hahah I LOVE it .. great to have you on board Joe.. great job

50. That has to be one of the best drift videos i have seen in a loooooonnnngggggg time! Excellent Excellent Excellent!

I love it!

51. brandon scarpelli says:

I loved the video so much I decided it deserved its own post, not just a comment. I was absolutely blown away by this! Great job Joe!

52. Patrick says:

that was the most epic video i have ever seen !!!! it made it look alomst animated like legos or something. seriously that was ground breaking man, keep up the good work i cant wait to see your next video

53. Damn Joe what an awesome job…I know what lens I’ll be renting in a the near future!

54. Joe Ayala says:

@Brandon

Thanks so much! I’ve been a follower of webridestv for a long time now and take a ton of Podcasts vids on the road!

55. VJImages says:

Fabulous story about how and why you decided to capture this top of the bill video! A true example that you can always do something creative, even if you think you are not ‘at the privileged places’!

Thanks for sharing this with us!

56. Ray Gavin says:

57. Ray Gavin says:

Joe this is Just Fabulous, Just Brilliant, mind blowing keep up the great work buddy, Cheers Ray Gavin (Ireland).

58. Walker Corridoni says:

Needed to compose you one tiny observation to finally give many thanks again considering the precious video you have shared on this site.