For those who missed their booth at SEMA, AEM Electronics recently introduced its new X-Series Wideband UEGO Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Controllers. X-Series Widebands are built upon unique, patent-pending X-Digital technology that makes them the fastest responding wideband air/fuel ratio controllers in independent testing against 17 other wideband UEGO air/fuel controllers
1. X-DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY
X-Digital wideband technology gives these controllers the ability to read and report values that other controllers do not, which can deliver more optimized engine tuning and a safer overall operating condition.
The controller’s high speed digital implementation ensures no loss of signal fidelity and full transient response, making it able to identify the slightest fluctuations in AFR and output them in full value.
WHY RESPONSE TIME MATTERS
Faster response time improves wideband feedback control, and can provide a safer, more powerful and accurate tune. AEM’s Wideband Controllers with X-Digital technology can reduce deadtime and improve the performance of your vehicle through more accurate AFR tuning. Please visit www.aemelectronics.com for more information about response time.
X-SERIES WIDEBAND AFR SENSOR CONTROLLER GAUGE
The X-Series Wideband UEGO AFR Sensor Controller Gauge (PN 30-0300) measures 2 1/16th-inch (52mm) in diameter, and features a modern, visually striking faceplate and new seven-segment center display that is 87% larger than the 30-4110 AEM Wideband Gauge’s center display. This creates the perception of a larger overall gauge, but in a common 52mm size for easy mounting. Its slim depth (about one inch overall) and ultra slim cup depth of .200-inches dramatically increases its application base and potential mounting locations.
The X-Series Wideband UEGO AFR Gauge has a user configurable display via buttons on the gauge face that allow you to change AFR values for different fuels, Lambda or O2%, change the center display to three or four digits, perform a free-air calibration if desired as the sensor ages, and change the CAN message ID when linking multiple X-Series Inline Controllers or X-Series Controller Gauges. A black bezel and black dual-faced faceplate for fuel and Lambda are included, and an optional silver faceplate with white dual-faced fuel/Lambda faceplate is available (PN 30-0300-ACC, sold separately). An Auto Dimming feature is included. Locking connectors ensure a positive connection between the harnesses and gauge and a new single board design adds to the new gauge’s durability.
The gauge includes a 0-5v and RS232 Serial Port output for feedback control and data logging, and an AEMnet (CANbus) output for data logging. AEMnet allows additional X-Series Wideband Controllers to be daisy chained together (up to 16 cylinders) for recording AFR in multiple cylinders. It supports vehicle/system voltages up to 16V, and can be used on EFI or carbureted applications, and dynamometers in applications using gasoline, methanol, ethanol, Diesel, propane and CNG.
X-SERIES INLINE WIDEBAND CONTROLLER
The X-Series Inline Wideband UEGO Sensor Controller features a weather-resistant, low-profile enclosure with status LEDs. It is ideal for users who do not need a gauge display and want the fastest response time when data logging or for feedback control when tuning with an engine management system.
The X-Series Inline Controller includes a 0-5v and RS232 Serial Port output for feedback control and data logging, and an AEMnet (CANbus) output for data logging and daisy chaining multiple X-Series Controllers together (up to 12 cylinders) for recording AFR in multiple cylinders. It supports vehicle/system voltages up to 16V, and can be used on EFI or carbureted applications, and dynamometers in applications using gasoline, methanol, ethanol, propane and CNG.
FACTORY CALIBRATION RESISTOR OR FREE-AIR CAL, IT’S YOUR CHOICE!
The X-Series Wideband Gauge and X-Series Inline Controller support the popular Bosch 4.9LSU sensor and can utilize both the factory calibration resistor and free-air calibration methods2. This allows users to take advantage of the precise factory resistor calibration when a sensor is new but then allows for free-air calibrations if the user desires when the sensor ages. It’s the perfect marriage of simplicity and accuracy!
X-SERIES WIDEBAND UEGO CONTROLLER FEATURES:
X-Series Inline Wideband UEGO AFR Controller and X-Series Wideband UEGO AFR Controller Gauge were fastest responding wideband air/fuel ratio controllers in an independent test vs. 17 competitor wideband AFR controllers
- Includes Bosch 4.9LSU wideband UEGO sensor
- Factory calibrated resistor does not require free-air calibration, but technology allows for free-air
- calibration as sensor ages if user desires
- Compatible with vehicle/system voltages up to 16V
- 0-5V & RS232 for data logging and feedback control, AEMnet (CANbus) for data logging and daisy-chaining multiple controllers up to 16 cylinders
- Can display AFR values in hundredths of % (gauge only)
- 52mm gauge diameter and slim 0.825” gauge depth (gauge only)
- Gauge cup depth only .200” deep! (gauge only)
- Auto dimming feature
- User configurable display via buttons on the gauge face for changing AFR values, Lambda and O2%, and 3-or 4-digit display (gauge only)
- Black bezel and black dual faced faceplate included (gauge only, silver bezel/white gauge option sold separately, PN 30-0300-ACC)
- Locking connectors (gauge only)
- Weather-resistant, low profile design (inline controller only)
X-SERIES OUTPUT & DISPLAY VALUES:
- Display Gasoline values from 8.0:1 to 20.0:1 AFR
- Display Lambda values from .55 to 2.00
- 0-5V Output Gasoline values from 8.5:1 to 18.0:1 AFR
- CANbus Output Gasoline values from 8.0:1 to 20.0:1 AFR
- CANbus Output Lambda values from .55 to 2.00
- 0-5V Output Lambda values from .58 to 1.23
- 0-5V Output E85 values from 5.7:1 to 12.0:1 AFR
- 0-5V Output Ethanol values from 5.2:1 to 11.0:1 AFR
- 0-5V Output Methanol values from 3.75:1 to 8.0:1 AFR
Advanced Engine Management’s performance electronics are Engineered to Outperform. The company designs, manufactures and assembles engine management systems, wideband air/fuel systems, data loggers, water/methanol injection systems, performance gauges, boost controllers, ignition components, fuel delivery components and adjustable cam gears at its corporate headquarters in Hawthorne, CA.
1. Independently tested at 3600 Product Testing (results reported on August 31st, 2015) against 17 competitor wideband UEGO Air/Fuel Controllers. AEM X-Series Inline with Bosch 4.9LSU wideband sensor and AEM X-Series Wideband UEGO AFR Gauge with Bosch 4.9LSU sensor recorded the fastest response times.
2. Wideband UEGO sensors are wear items and their lifespan is determined by many factors including contamination from leaded fuels, automotive fluids, particulates, mechanical or thermal shock and from being unheated and exposed to the exhaust stream.
Free-air calibration may correct drift as a sensor ages, but it is recommended that they are replaced as part of your vehicle’s maintenance program. When performing free-air calibration, please follow the procedure outlined in the instruction manual.